5 Biblical Reasons Why the Pence Rule Shows Wisdom
Vice President Mike Pence does not dine alone with a woman other than his wife; nor does he attend events where alcohol is served without his wife by his side. These guidelines are now known as the Pence rule (also called the Billy Graham rule). While not all Christians feel that it is necessary to follow Vice President Pence's personal professional boundaries, here are five biblical reasons why the Pence rule shows wisdom.
1. It helps men and women to avoid sexual temptation.
"And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil." (Matt. 6:13)
2. It seeks to honor the marital union.
Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous. (Heb. 13:4)
3. It recognizes the battle within all Christians between the flesh and the Spirit.
For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. (Rom. 7:22-23)
4. It shows respect for one's family by keeping boundaries.
Whoever troubles his own household will inherit the wind, and the fool will be servant to the wise of heart. (Prov. 11:29)
5. It strives to bring glory to God.
Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. (1 Cor. 6:18-20)
- 3 Ways the Gospel Brings Harmony to Your Marriage
- 6 Ways a Christian Husband Cherishes His Wife
- 6 Ways a Christian Wife Cherishes Her Husband
Overcoming Sin and Temptation by John Owen; edited by Kelly M. Kapic and Justin Taylor
This page may contain affiliate links through which Beautiful Christian Life may receive a commission to help cover its operating costs.